abel Miguel is truly a woman of the world. Having lived in Argentina, Venezuela, Barbados, France, Turkey and New York, Mabel brings a global perspective to UNC Kenan-Flagler. Not only has Mabel lived on six continents, her understanding of cultural dimensions was honed by her work at the United Nations, where she served as a consultant recruitment coordinator. This international experience has given Mabel a deeper understanding of how different management styles work in different cultures.
Mabel is an active teacher and learner. She doesn't want her students to merely listen. Rather, she asks her students to bring their own stories and experiences to the classroom. From Mabel's own international experience, as well as the diversity of UNC Kenan-Flagler students and faculty, ample travel opportunities as part of the Global Immersion Electives and the global OneMBA Program, Mabel’s students leave prepared for global leadership.
To Mabel, practice is as vital as theory for the development of global leaders. "Technical skills get you in the door," she says. "But the higher you go, the more you need leadership skills. What gets you promoted are your leadership and management skills." Mabel's students leave UNC Kenan-Flagler with those skills.
Bringing The World To UNC Kenan-Flagler
Roll over the map to see where Mabel has lived and where her work has taken her.
Professor of Leadership & Management
Mabel Miguel teaches core leadership and management skills to MBA, Executive MBA, and global OneMBA® students. She has developed and taught leadership skills courses for such organizations at the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, ExxonMobil, Siemens, Sony Ericsson, Caterpillar, CEMEX, Eastman Chemical, and the Environmental Protection Agency. Professor Miguel has also taught extensively at universities and organizations overseas.
- PhD, UNC-Chapel Hill
- MBA, New York University
- BS, New York University
- The Art of Decision Making (Executive Development)
- Leading & Managing Change (Executive Development)
- Leading & Managing Global Teams (Executive Development)
- Individual Level Issues With Implementation of Change (Executive Development)
- Developing Managerial & Leadership Skills (EMBA)
- Leadership, Communications & Career Services (EMBA)
- Leading and Managing Global Organizations (OneMBA)
- Global Immersion Electives: Doing Business in South America (MBA & EMBA)
- Global Immersion Electives: Doing Business in China and Hong Kong (MBA & EMBA)
James R. Pagett, Jr.
MBA for Executives Program, UNC Kenan-Flagler, Class of 2009
- American Banking Institute
- Naval Supply Corps
- Center for Creative Leadership
- Dow Jones